Question

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

linzi

Question

Post by linzi »

Hello all
Just wanted to ask if any of you have been skiing with your orthostatic tremor? If you have how did it affect you? Were you able to balance or was it a very painful experience? Thinking of maybe going at some point in the future and would appreciate your feedback. I suspect it could be tricky! :roll:
RichardS

Re: Question

Post by RichardS »

linzi wrote:Hello all
Just wanted to ask if any of you have been skiing with your orthostatic tremor? If you have how did it affect you? Were you able to balance or was it a very painful experience? Thinking of maybe going at some point in the future and would appreciate your feedback. I suspect it could be tricky! :roll:
/

I went ski-ing - and broke my leg on the first turn I tried to make:-( On reflection, I'm sure this was down to OT, as nothing like this used to happen when I ski-ed pre-OT. Could be the new short skis, or just age, of course, but personally I wouldn't risk going again.

Love

Richard
linzi

Post by linzi »

Hi Richard
Sorry to hear that you broke your leg on your last skiing trip :cry:
Has anyone else been skiing since being diagnosed with OT? How did you find it?
Linzi
Lorie M

Post by Lorie M »

Linzi,

The first time I can recall feeling any effects of OT was when I tried to snow ski. I had not been skiing for many years. The boots made me bend at the knees and bend forward. Both bad for tremors to start for me. It was not a good experience.I thought I was just old and out of shape. (still am) When I returned home I would notice the tremor when I would stand still especially in church.
That was the start of something that eventually was diagnosed 10 years later as OT. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with skiing. Hope it works for you.
Lorie M
linzi

Post by linzi »

Hi Lorie
Thanks for your response. I do feel that skiiing would be rather difficult as my body would probably feel like it is still standing even though I would be moving on the skis.
Probably best to give it a miss.
Linzi
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Comments removed.
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lake of the Woods

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Hello,
I do quite a bit of cross-country skiing when the conditions permit, in the winter in Canada. As long as the area is flat it is great. I tried going down a slope but as soon as my legs were not working, my tremors cut in.

I just stick to going on the lake and really enjoy it.

Peggy Whitta