penmanship problems

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

magnbud

penmanship problems

Post by magnbud »

I am 50 years old and have OT. Like many of you , my hand shakes at the check out stand when I sign the credit card receipt. However lately when I am sitting ,I have a sense of really needing to concentrate to form the letters correctly. This happens when I write notes or pay bills. My writing does not flow easily like it used to. I don't know if this is caused by the Clonazepam or OT itself. Does anyone else have this problem? Maggie
Betty

Penmanship Problems

Post by Betty »

Hi Maggie,

My name is Betty; and I, too, have OT. I also have essential or intential tremors of the hands, which causes difficulty writing. My penmanship used to be pretty good but now there are times I can hardly read my own writing. It is worse if I am under stress or if I am tired.

As you mentioned, when trying to sign a receipt at a checkout counter, it is very difficult which causes even more stress, thus, more difficulty writing. I also have problems just writing in general. Some days seem better than others.

Since I am not on any medication at the moment and still have these tremors, I personally don't think yours are caused by Clonazepam; but you should consult with your physician. You might question whether your hand tremors could be caused by essential or intentional tremors.

Hang in there ~ we are all trying to find an answer and thanks to Gloria, we have found this site and a wonderful way to ask questions and get some positive feedback ~ most neurologists haven't caught up as far as being knowledgable about OT. I went to eight ~ yes EIGHT ~ before I was told I had OT. I am still trying to find a way to enlighten the neurologists in my area ~ no luck so far, but I am not giving up.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Betty in Florida 8)
magnbud

penmanship problems

Post by magnbud »

Betty in Florida, Thanks for the reply regarding the hand tremor. I really have no other time my hands tremor except after extreme exercise like using the weedeater or something like that. These penmanship problems are subtle, but that's the way this whole thing with my legs began too. I guess I'm afraid I might develop essential tremor. Every visit to Houston, my doctor asks me if I am experiencing increased tremor in my hands (almost as if he is expecting it). But, whatever, I find the best in each day and am glad I am able to do so many things. Maggie in Oklahoma