Alternative medicine

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

norak

Alternative medicine

Post by norak »

Wondering if anyone else is trying alternative medicine approaches? In the past year, I have explored nutrition and supplements (huge help, found I had food sensitivities that were weakening my system), yoga , Bowen therapy, colon therapy to detox, and prolotherapy to strengthen ligaments (back pain is almost completely gone, ankles are stronger). Currently doing chelation to detox. I have only had four treatments and feel weak but friends tell me it takes at least 10 to feel a positive difference. As toxins leave the body, it's to be expected. I don't take any meds.
When I first ran across this wonderful site, I was at a stage where I was withdrawing from life because everything was so difficult, but I started researching and decided I would devote myself to getting as well as I could. I can now stand unassisted for several minutes. Since POT seems to have a huge nervous system component, I have tried to make my life less stressful and frankly admit to others I have a "balance problem" and sit down when it's too long. I can now wear a small heel and find supportive shoes, orthotics and elastic stockings (ugh) help a lot. The prolotherapy and gentle exercises have strenghtened my legs and back and that helps subdue the tremor. I found that my hamstrings were shortened and various other leg muscles and that of course makes one tense up and shake. Why it doesn't occur when walking, one therapist told me, is that all the weight is not being supported in one spot. Also, I was standing with more weight on one leg than the other and my hips were out of balance. I now try to keep in mind to keep shoulders centered over hips, hips over knees, knees over ankles. I can recommend a couple of excellent easy exercises books that help with balance and strengthening. It is expensive and time consuming, but my quest gives me a feeling that I can get better.
I would be interested to know if anyone reading is in good physical shape and yet still has POT?
gloria

Post by gloria »

Norak

Thanks for the report on all of your investigation and trial of many alternative approaches. You are very ambitious and much of what you are doing will result in an overall feeling good and physically fit. Hopefully it might also lessen the intensity of your OT symptoms. Keep up the good work and your excellent reporting.

Gloria
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hello Nora,

I've had OT from age 38 till now (45). I'm in decent aerobic shape and walk briskly three times a week.

I'm also currently doing chelation because there's some evidence that there's too much mercury and lead in my body, that *maybe* has contributed to the tremor. And I have food sensitivities. And my hips are often imbalanced.

What I've been doing recently that's been most helpful is individual Pilates coaching. It's waking up some gluteal, abdominal and inner thigh muscles, and helping my brainstem do a better job of coordinating those muscles. The tremor seems triggered the same as ever, and still annoys me, but it causes me much less trouble. I have noticeably more endurance and significantly less 'clenching' due to fear of falling (not that I'm at all likely to fall, but there is that viscious circle of tremor => tightness => less stable => more tightening => more tremor, etc).

Thanks for writing,
Jennifer

[/code]