Tremor in legs AND body?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Sue

Tremor in legs AND body?

Post by Sue »

Does anyone have a tremor in their back which affects arms and head? Do you know if this is associated with OT? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced whole body shaking.

Am I alone in this?

Sue
Lynda

Tremor in legs and body

Post by Lynda »

Hi Sue!
I have never been aware of a tremor specifically in my back, but I do know that if I am forced to keep standing for any length of time, that the tremor in my legs seems to spread to my whole body. I have presumed that is all part of OT. I definitely suffer from tremor in my arms and hands - but again that is only whilst standing - making the signing of cheques etc whilst I'm on my feet, virtually impossible and very embarrassing! Do you suffer from whole-body tremor even when you're not standing?
Hope this is of some help.
Best wishes
Lynda
Sue

Whole body tremor?

Post by Sue »

Hi Lynda
Thanks for your reply. I experience whole body tremor usually when my back is up against a rigid surface while sitting (the tremor seems to travel from the legs up my back) or when the muscles in my arms or legs are constricted for some reason. Also when a part of my body is traumatised (e.g. dentistry)! After dental treatment I am usually unable to sign the credit card voucher because my hand is shaking so much. Perhaps I am just a 'wimp' and it is nothing to do with OT!

I was interested to hear about the shaking in your hands when standing.

Best wishes

Sue
Lynda

Whole body tremor

Post by Lynda »

Dear Sue,
Your experiences at the dentist are very interesting, because I also find that having to sign my name straight after dental treatment is extremely difficult - more so than on other occasions. I usually have to ask to sit down, before I can sign anything! I'm not aware of a tremor whilst in the dentist's chair, but the OT seems to be exacerbated when I then stand up. I have put this down to a problem with balance (going from lying down to standing up), but I'm not really sure if this is why it happens. Perhaps I'm a wimp too!
Best wishes
Lynda
Lynda

Whole body tremor

Post by Lynda »

Hi Sue,
It's me again! I have just read an article by Oscar S Gershanik entitled 'Orthostatic Tremor' (from the NTF reading list) - I don't know if you've seen it? I thought you may be interested in one observation he makes regarding his OT patients:

Most important was the fact that the high-frequency tremor found in these patients was not only the result of adopting the upright position. The same type of fast rhythmic contraction was found in the muscles of the back with the patients sitting down.

I thought this was interesting in the light of your experience of whole body tremor. If you would like a copy of the article I would be quite happy to send you one. Just let me know.

Best wishes

Lynda
Sue

Tremor in back

Post by Sue »

Hi Lynda
Thanks for letting me know about the article. I am not sure if I have seen that one. Yes I would like to see a copy it sounds interesting.

I saw your name on the new members list in the Tremor Foundation's latest 'Ready Steady' Newsletter. Have you found it useful? Do you think you will make the conference this year. it looks as it if may be in the south west?

How are the plans for Bali?

Best wishes

Sue