How Can We Get More Participation on this Site ?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Shakeylegs

How Can We Get More Participation on this Site ?

Post by Shakeylegs »

I joined this group a number of months ago to get some more information about this condition and to learn what I can expect in the future as this thing progresses. There really has not been much activity on this site and I'm wondering what can be done to get more dialogue going. I realize "we got a rare thing going on", but I really thought there would be more dialogue especially during these COVID times. Looking back on past history, some posts go back 15 years. Undoubtedly a number of members have passed on and some people are not the types to post questions or participate in discussions. I'm sure there were topics that have fizzled out over the years that could be revisited as there is new data on them. I personally would like to get in touch with people in my area to network as it were. The feeling that you are not the only one dealing with this would be a lot more comforting if you could pick up the phone and talk to someone who "gets it". I have tried to contact a person in my area through the private messaging feature on this site. These messages are just sitting there unopened.This person may not visit this site anymore. They may not realize that someone wants to get in touch with them...or they could be dead.Is there any way that the Moderator can send out an email blast to all the members through their personal email addresses on file? This would help to rejuvenate the dialogue, encourage people to participate and clean up the database of inactive email addresses and users. As this condition goes, I could be living with it for the next 30 years. It would be nice to know that there is an active community out there to support everyone dealing with this Thank you :)
Freya of the north

Re: How Can We Get More Participation on this Site ?

Post by Freya of the north »

Hi,
I’ve just hounds the group 👋
And would like to hear from people in this group.
How do I find people in my own area?
Are there any group meetings etc, etc,
I am in England x
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Shakeylegs,

You didn't say where you live; it might be helpful to others to know so if there is someone in your area you could get together.

I live in Florida and have met and become friends with many people on this site. Some were passing through our area and others I met at the Clinical Trials held in Omaha.

I have had OT for about 25 years and perhaps could answer some questions you may have. Ask, and I shall try.

Betty in Florida
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Freya,

I live in Florida, but I think there are people who live in England who are on this site. You might try posting on "How is Everyone"? There is a lot of communication there.

If I can answer any questions for you, I would be happy to try.

Betty in Florida
Shakeylegs

Post by Shakeylegs »

I found a member on this forum who lives in my area and I sent him a private message. That was in June.It has sat in my out box for months.I inquired with the administrator as to why it was just sitting there undelivered. I was told that it would stay there until the individual went on the forum again and searched to see if there was any messages for him. This is why I wrote the post about the Admin contacting members to get them to check for personal messages and to generally clean up the e-mail database. About 2 weeks ago, I joined the OT Facebook Group They had a spreadsheet listing all the members names, cities and countries. Through that sheet, I was able to contact the man I was trying to reach here plus one additional person in my area. I will be meeting one of these individuals in person later this month. This forum is stale. The Facebook page was easier to navigate,had articles and papers which were easier to access and there is member activity every day.
Betty

Post by Betty »

I am sorry you have had such an unfortunate experience on the OT site; I have found it to be very helpful. Of course, the Administrator is correct, if you write and no one checks the forum, your post will lie dormant until it is read.

I am happy you had more success on Facebook, but don't give up on this site. It is very informative.

Good luck and I know you will enjoy meeting someone else with OT. It makes such a difference to compare notes.

Betty